Most cat owners would be ignorant that even their lovely pets need clean water that helps maintain their dental hygiene while ensuring proper hydration. Lack of proper water hygiene can lead to rotten teeth or dental diseases and other problems like digestive issues, diarrhea, and other diseases along the line. The best way to prevent this from happening is to use cat water additives regularly.
But, how would you select the right cat water additive for your pet? How would you ensure that it doesn’t harm your pet’s health in any way? Here is a complete guide to help you understand the best ways to select the right and best dental water additives for cats. That will definitely improve the dental hygiene of your adorable pet.
But before moving forward let’s have a look at our top recommendations:
You can add the recommended quantity of water additives to your cat’s water bowl or fountain, make sure the equipment is clean and tidy.
What is a cat water additive?
A cat water additive is a liquid that is safe for consumption for your pets. They are also suggested to be used by veterinarians to promote better oral health. These additives keep your pet’s mouth clean in a way humans make use of mouthwash.
In addition, these additives can serve as antiseptic and anti-bacterial agents to keep your pet safe from bad oral health.
They also help keep the water clean for a long by reducing the bacterial build-up. Of course, you can use natural additives, but they might not be as appealing to cats. In short, this will help keep your cat’s water fresher for longer while boosting their immunity and not just the dental hygiene.
Most safe water additives are the ones that are advised for your cat’s dental health. These additives for water are used as a safer substitute for brushing teeth.
They can effectively reduce bacterial contamination in the water as well as the mouth. Fortunately, they help get rid of any bad breath.
What are the benefits of cat water additives?
Cat water additives function as a mouthwash for your pets. It helps clean & freshen the cat’s mouth while also keeping the water clean at the same time.
Here are some benefits of using cat water additives:
- It helps reduce any tartar build-up
- Prevents any bacterial growth
- Freshens the dog breath
- Fights off the possibility of plaque development
- It can be used in the form of food toppers
- Ideal for cats that resist tooth brushing
However, no product is perfect, and the same goes for cat water additives as well. There are some downsides to using cat water additives that include:
- It doesn’t mimic the brushing effect; it cannot scrub off the existing build-up
- The strong smell might not be something your cat would like
- Always check whether the additive has any harmful chemical
- Your cat might be allergic to certain components of the additive; always consult with the veterinarian before you start adding the additives to the water bowl
When purchasing a cat water additive, it should be cautioned as potentially harmful chemicals might be a part of the concoction. One such chemical is chlorhexidine Gluconate which can potentially increase the formation of calculus.
Further, it can also lead to the inflammation of your cat’s salivary glands along with inflammation in the gums and mouth.
Also, keep in mind that this chemical can be potentially harmful if it comes in contact with the cat’s eyes.
Another well-known chemical added to cat water additives is Xylitol. It isn’t just harmful to your pets but also potentially fatal. Therefore, it is wise to check the list of ingredients in your cat water additive to ensure it doesn’t pack in Xylitol in any form.
How can you use a cat water additive?
Before you start including a cat water additive in your pet’s bowl, make sure you consult with your local veterinarian. Get their advice on the brand you plan to select for your cat.
It is especially necessary for cats that have any pre-existing health issues that require medications.
When using water additives, make sure you follow all the given instructions in the packaging. Generally, the instructions are very simple and involve dispensing a measured proportion of additives in specified dosages.
Things to Look for in Cat Water Additives
Shopping for the right cat water additives can be a difficult choice. You need to check for certain features and ingredients to ensure it is completely safe for your pet.
Here are some factors you need to bring into consideration:
1. Antibacterial Properties
Bacteria are a primary culprit when talking about dental and stomach issues caused due to infected water. When ignored, it can lead to teeth burrowing & cause cavities. Moreover, they can also induce gingivitis along with gum infection. Therefore, look for cat water additives with natural & anti-inflammatory ingredients such as ginger, cloves, aloe vera, green tea extracts, & cinnamon.
If you don’t like artificial ingredients, make sure you stay away from citric acid or glycerin additives.
2. Breath-Refreshing Agents
Although the anti-bacterial agents take care of your pet’s oral health, it is a long-term process. For pet parents seeking immediate effect, you can look for breath-refreshing agents such as peppermint or spearmint.
3. Safety Feature
When using cat water additives with chemical ingredients, it is important to consider your pet’s safety. While most chemicals used in such additives aren’t harmful, some might lead to health issues for your cat in the long run.
As mentioned earlier, your cat needs to stay away from sweeteners such as Xylitol or any ingredient with alcohol. Instead, opt for additives that have safer ingredients for pets.
Cats are very wary about the water they drink. Any weird taste can deter them from drinking water at all. Therefore, cat water additives are generally used to make the water taste better and eliminate any foul smell that they cannot tolerate.
Additives with strong flavors can be a big turnoff for cats. So, make sure you choose something mild that isn’t too overpowering.
5. Consider the Cat’s Gut Health
Always choose a cat water additive that is light on your cat’s stomach. Several ingredients in cat water additives might worsen your cat’s digestive health if they already have a problem. Instead, get something that isn’t too overbearing in terms of formulation.
Now that you know the basics of picking the right cat water additive, here is a list of the top 10 options for you to select.
Top 10 Best Cat Water Additives
1. Oxyfresh Premium Dental Water Additives for Cats
With Oxyfresh Premium, it is now easier to get rid of bad breath issues for your pet cat. Its fast-acting formulation packs in Oxygene that works on cats, dogs, birds, and more. This water additive is highly recommended by veterinarians and keeps your pet’s oral health in top-notch condition.
Oxyfresh helps fight off plaque & tartar build-up with no requirement for a follow-up brushing. In addition, the solution is easy to use. All you need to do is add a cap of this water additive into the drinking water.
It is formulated to be completely safe for pets that love to drink water. No doubt it’s the best dental water additive for cats.
The best thing about this cat water additive is the fact that it is tasteless and odorless. The water’s taste isn’t masked with tea-tree or mint. It is especially useful for cats that are very wary about the taste or odor.
- It doesn’t overpower the water with unwanted odor or taste
- The solution is free of any alcohol content
- Ideal for cats that are wary or picky
- Cruelty-free formulation with no artificial flavoring
- It doesn’t cause itching or drying of skin/ear
- It might not be ideal for cats with existing stomach issues
- Not meant for the old cats
2. Dental Fresh Water Additive
The Dental Fresh cat water additive is a great alternative for brushing the teeth. Its advanced-quality formulation aids in removing tartar and plaque with a knack for the removal of bacterial build-up. It is ideal for cats and dogs that suffer from advanced dental problems, swollen gums, halitosis, or teeth discoloration.
The cat water additive is beneficial and safe for daily use and can be used without any hassles. Follow the recommended dosage daily to get the best results for oral health. The formula has a double-strength concoction that reaches out to the places in your cat’s mouth that are far off or hard-to-reach.
Dental Fresh additive helps protect against periodontal issues that range in moderate or severe scale. In addition, the additive can easily deal with the worst kind of cat breath and doesn’t create any sensitivity issues.
- It helps protect your cat’s teeth and gums from gingivitis
- Features a self-regulating formulation to tackle bad breath
- Neutralizes acidic areas in the mouth to avoid bacterial infection
- Affordable and effective formulation with premium-quality ingredients
- Freshens the breath instantly & eliminates slime
- Chlorine dioxide might lead to loose stools; veterinarian consultation recommended
- It contains parabens; it might not be good for cats
3. TropiClean Oral Care Water Additive for Pets
The TropiClean water additive for cats is an amazing formulation that acts as a defense mechanism against tartar & plaque. Within a few days of usage, you will notice that your cat has fresher breath and less bacterial build-up.
The formula is designed with a blend of naturally occurring ingredients that include green tea. It helps fight off the bacterial population known to cause breath-related issues and provides fresh breath for 12 hours or more. The best thing about this additive is that it doesn’t have any artificial odor or taste. So your cat would never be wary of any unwanted taste that comes from their drinking water.
Put 1 cap of this additive into your cat’s water bowl and give your cat the gift of a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums. When used along with the dental chews, you can expect maximum protection for your cat’s oral health.
- It doesn’t make your cat’s hair itchy
- Safe for regular use for both cats and dogs
- Crafted from natural plant-based ingredients
- Flavorless & odorless to suit most cats
- Green tea helps add to the digestive health
- No suitable for certain cat breeds; check with your veterinarian
- It doesn’t reduce slime formation in the water bowl
4. Dechra Vetradent Water Additive for Cats
Decked with Biotrate technology, the Dechra Vetradent cat water additive is a great solution to help your cat practice oral hygiene. The Vetradent additive helps reduce the tartar and plaque formation in cats & supports optimum oral health for your pets.
The Biotrate present in this solution helps cut through the biofilm that forms in the cat’s mouth. It also helps reduce the bacterial growth responsible for tartar and plaque formation. The additive solution also packs in zinc chloride that helps reduce foul breath issues.
Further, the citric acid present in the solution helps maintain the mouth’s pH balance and avoid additional bacterial growth.
- It helps reduce gum inflammation or rotting issues
- Affordable pricing with safe ingredients
- Scientifically proven formulation to help reduce plaque
- Biotrate technology to help cut through the biofilm
- Reduces any scope for gum bleeding
- It doesn’t work efficiently with pet fountains that have a carbon filter
- Not meant for old or sick cats
5. Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Liquid
Are you looking for a reliable cat water additive that helps freshen your feline friend’s breath? If so, the Nylabone advanced additive is a convenient dental care solution for your pet that helps control tartar development while supporting your cat’s daily oral health.
Its scientifically proven formulation helps bring down the bacterial population that can lead to plaque development. The additive is highly recommended by veterinarians and helps substitute brushing in case you ever forget to brush your cat’s teeth for some time.
The 32-ounce bottle lasts for quite some time and is available at an affordable price tag. In addition, the nylabone cat water additive is the perfect solution for treating the mouth’s hard-to-reach locations that aren’t doable with regular brushing.
- Promotes health gum and reduces bleeding issues
- Created with safe ingredients that aren’t harmful to cats
- Comprises of natural green-tea extract that helps fight plaque
- Clinically proven formulation with vitamin C
- Help keep the water fresher for longer
- Some cats might feel nauseous
- Could induce diarrhea in pets with a sensitive stomach
6. Arm & Hammer Best Dental Water Additive for Cats
The Arm & Hammer cat water additive holds a formula that helps fight off tartar build-up. The baking soda present in this additive helps soften the harmful build-up and eliminates any unwanted smell for long hours. The additive is ideal for cats that are way too impatient for brushing teeth.
Just add some of this additive to the bowl of water by following the dosage listed in the packaging and replace it as required.
Its flavorless and odorless concoction is perfect for cats that are very picky by nature. Simply put, your cat won’t detect the presence of any additive to their drinking water. We recommend it as one of the best dental water additives for cats.
The formulation is ideal for your cat’s dental and oral health while keeping the water fresh for hours. In addition, the Arm & Hammer additive helps get rid of health problems such as periodontal diseases while avoiding any bacterial build-up in the mouth.
- Ensures fresh breath for long hours
- Effective in maintaining healthy teeth
- It helps soothe the inflamed and sensitive gums
- Whitens & brightens the yellowing teeth
- Helps with deeper cleaning while leaving refreshing breath
- Isn’t as appealing for some cats
- It doesn’t reduce the slime build-up
7. PetHonesty Oral Hygiene Additive
The PetHonesty cat water additive is a reliable solution for young and adult cats with foul breath but isn’t willing to brush. It features an odorless and tasteless concoction that helps support your cat’s dental health while ensuring healthy gums for years to come with regular usage.
The formula comes with all-natural ingredients that don’t cause any harm to your cat’s health. In addition, the makers of the cat water additive have ensured that no toxic chemical is delivered to your pet, such as sodium benzoate, CPC, or chlorine.
It helps manage plaque, bad odor issues, tartar development, and so on without the need to brush regularly. In addition, the solution counteracts the effects of bacterial infection and helps keep your cat happy and healthy for long.
- It helps avoid the oral issues that lead to pain in the long run
- Odorless & tasteless solution that doesn’t disturb the cat
- Contains cinnamon, zinc, & grape-seed
- It helps boost your cat’s immune while tackling inflammation
- It doesn’t contain any harsh preservatives or chemicals
- It might induce diarrhea or loose stools in some cats
- A bit on the expensive side for the features
8. Pet King Oral Care Water Additive
With Pet King Cat water additive, you no longer have to worry about your cat’s bad oral health. So enjoy those slobbery kisses with your lovely pet without having to deal with that foul smell. Plus, the additive can help remove any plaque present in your cat’s teeth without the need to brush.
The formula is designed without any odor or flavor that might disturb or irritate your cat in any manner. Further, the formula helps support proper rehydration of the cat’s dry mouth, which is indicated via cracking in the tongue, inflamed gums, plaque, or any food aversions.
The additive is 100 percent safe & gentle for your cat’s daily ingestion and helps avoid any serious health complications. In addition, the formulation effectively gets odor-causing germs or gum problems.
- Helps deal with bad-breath issues in old cats
- Tackles dry mouth problems with ease
- Perfect for cats that hate to get their teeth brushed up
- Free from antibiotics and harsh chemicals
- Features anti-bacterial & anti-inflammatory components
- Can cause bloating issues in old cats
- Pump dispensary tends to leak at times
9. Naturel Promise Fresh Dental Water Additive
The Naturel cat water additive is an effective form of oral care for your pets. The formula promotes healthy gums and teeth while serving as the perfect dental solution to fight off bacteria. Within a few hours of usage, you can observe your cat has fresher breath.
The proprietary formula comes with natural ingredients that produce healthy oral habitat. The additive comprises purified water, cetylpyridinium chloride, sodium benzoate, glycerin, citric acid, & green tea extract. Its all-in-one formula helps keep your pet’s hygiene in the best condition while practicing eco-friendly packaging & the use of plant-based ingredients.
Naturel cat water additive is safe for use in both cats & dogs. The additive helps clean up tartar build-up, gingivitis, & periodontal diseases.
- It is a great substitute for brushing teeth
- Provides about 12 hours of fresh breath
- It gives your cat noticeably fresh breath in less than 14 days
- Accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council
- Green tea extract helps boost your cat’s immunity
- Some cats might feel nauseous
- Packaging is a bit flimsy; it tends to break easily
10. Buddy’s Best Cat Breath Freshene
The Buddy’s Best cat water additive is an ideal choice when looking for a flavored cat water additive for your pet. For most cat owners, brushing regularly can be a time-consuming and tasking experience. With this water additive, you can keep your cat’s teeth squeaky clean while keeping the bad breath away for long.
The combination of cinnamon and peppermint helps clean your cat’s teeth while keeping them white & shiny. Further, it helps effortlessly improve oral health. The concoction also packs in ingredients such as aloe, mint, clove, & honey.
Buddy’s Best cat water additive is loaded with a paraben-free formulation that is also free of alcohol or dye.
- Soothing & delicious taste loved by cats
- Reduces the growth of bad bacteria
- Ensures fresh breath for longer
- It helps maintain healthy gums with no bleeding
- Cruelty-Free formulation
- It is the best dental water additives for cats
- The pricing is a bit on the higher side
- All cats might not love the taste & odor
Comparing Best Dental Water Additives for Cats
|Oxyfresh Premium Cat Water Additive||8 Oz/16 Oz pack||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|Dental Fresh Advanced Cat Water Additive||17 Oz||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|TropiClean Cat Water Additive for Oral Care||33.8 Oz||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|Dechra Vetradent Cat Water Additive||17 Oz||Tasteless||No||Odorless|
|Nylabone Advanced Cat Water Additive||4 Oz/16 Oz/32 Oz||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|Arm & Hammer Cat Water Additive||16 Oz||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|PetHonesty Cat Water Additive||8 Oz||Tasteless||No||Odorless|
|Pet King Zymox Oratene Cat Water Additive||8 Oz||Tasteless||Yes||Odorless|
|Naturel Promise Cat Water Additive||18 Oz||Green Tea||No||Odorless|
|Buddy’s Best Cat Water Additive||32 Oz||Cinnamon/Peppermint||Yes||Mint|
As a cat parent, it is imperative to know how long can a cat survive without water and symptoms of dehydration in cats. This knowledge will help you to better care for your cat. You might consume Pedialyte to stay hydrated and worried “can I give my cat Pedialyte?” Then stay sure Pedialyte is not made for cats and it can be harmful to them.
Now that you know the right way to select a cat water additive for your lovely cat make sure you practice all the guidelines to the T. Refrain from using any additive that packs in harsh chemicals known to affect your cat’s health.
In any case, if your cat doesn’t like the taste of the additive, try to switch to a different brand or consult your veterinarian soon.